Thursday, March 25, 2010

NETS Standards

I agree with all of the set standards that are currently in place for students learning technology. Of the standards mentioned above, I have found in my life experience that there is an emphasis on communication, research, and creative technologies. I really feel that communication and research seem to out-weigh some of the others in daily application. Communication technology is so prevalent and keeps getting bigger and better, so I think that it is important that students are well versed in using and understanding such technologies as email, blogs, messaging, chatting, video conferencing, etc. I also feel that being able to use technologies to research to find valuable and accurate information efficiently is key. Students should definitely be taught the skills to use internet search engines and other resources to find information to further their own learning. I have found it amazing how much more I learn by my own curiosity every day by having access to Google. Lastly, the many computer technologies out there allow people's creativity to soar. I am very into music. I started using computer based recording software in 2001 to create music. Before that, recording was an overwhelmingly expensive time consuming endeavor. Computer technologies have made the creative process so much more accessible, and since then I have been able to build my own business around such technologies. If students are made aware of what is out there, I think they will very willingly seek these technologies out in order to tap into their own creativity.

The technology standards that are set forth for teachers are good, but may be hard for some teachers who aren't very tech savvy or who refuse to utilize technology in the classroom. It has been apparent to me that for most of my life as a student up until very recently I have always felt that I know much more about the technology in the classroom setting than most of my teachers. It seems to me that just like playing certains sports, some people have the knack for technology, and some don't. That doesn't mean that they cannot learn technology, because just like anything else, if you put enough time and effort into it you will succeed. Because of this knack or lack of knack, the two toughest standards for some teachers to master will be the Digital-Age Work & Learning and Professional Growth & Leadership standards. Both of these standards require teachers to be on top of their game and well above students knowledge. I do believe as the next generation of teachers rolls in, this will become less and less of a problem as they will have been completely immersed in technology their entire lives. Most people my age that I know are decently tech savvy already and the younger generations are already right there.

One thing I think that is not mentioned, but should be a standard for both students and teachers is an understanding of hardware and software concepts. What I mean by these concepts is knowledge of what makes these things tick. A student who knows how a computer is put together, what an operating system is, how it works, then when it any kind of problem arises, they will have a good idea of how to solve it. Once these basic concepts of technology are learned, they can be applied to just about any technological device. I think this type of knowledge will benefit those people who fear or disregard technology the most. People fear what they don't understand. They should be in control of the technology and not let the technology control them.

3 comments:

  1. You make some excellent points about the teachers of the future. I have been thinking the same thinking as we have been sitting in class. Future teachers will have the technology background, but the challenge for them will be how to use it properly and possibly not understanding what has been lost because of this reliance on technology. I also agree with you on the hardware side. Viruses and other disabling computer problems can cause significant havoc in one's life and very few people know how to solve them. My husband can do it, but I am completly lost when my computer dies or has a virus. We need to teach these important skills and computer companies have to make the applications easier for common people to be able to fix their computer without having to use complicated programming and special computer modes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting comments and very reasonable insights as to the NETS standards. I am wondering about the comments about being able to understand software and the the actual way a computer works. Do you think this is "time well spent" in a general ed classroom? My son Benjamin has an after school programming class through his AP math teacher and is most definitely into it and learning. Perhaps if this could be integrated as part of a regular class it may fly. But again, I get the feeling that every school is like a ship on the sea and runs according to its principal's dictates. I agree that increased knowledge for teachers in a technological capacity is good, but to make it a standard makes me pause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knack or not, teachers do need some baseline level of skills to function effectively in the profession, if only to keep up with district policy and enter grades and attendance. I think most teachers entering the profession now come into it with some computer skills (our class is an interesting example). Being masters of the technology is going too far. But part of functioning in a profession is to continually upgrade your skills and knowledge. Which can certainly be a challenge if the administration isn't supporting it.

    jd

    ReplyDelete