Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Educational Computer Software




I think that there is something that can be valued from each of the different types of educational software that we experienced in class.

In the drill/tutoring category, I was really impressed with Brainpop. The overall presentation of the site and how it works was very easy and very impressive. It seems that the movies and activities that are on Brainpop aren't extremely in depth with information, but can be used as a good introduction to a topic or unit. The website movies are a good way to captivate students and keep their attention. Having students watch a movie short on a topic to introduce it and then have them complete the quizzes and activities that follow is a great way to make the student develop some general knowledge on their own. After that has taken place, the teacher can then discuss the topics in depth.

In the teacher directed category, web quests seemed to be a decent option. Although teachers must be mindful of how their web quests are created because they can become way too involved or incorporate aspects that stray from the point. As a teacher, I would only attempt to utilize web quests if I had a strong grasp on computer and internet knowledge such as using html. Web quests can also be very student inquiry based, but i don't think that they will be as effective as a teacher guiding the students through a web quest. For instance, I would develop a web quest with specific instructions on where to go to find exactly what it the kids need to learn and understand in order to be able to complete the knowledge requirement that I have laid out. With too much leeway students will waste time, easily fall off track.

As for the student inquiry side of education, I am all for it. The reason I like this is because of my own learning style. I find that I can sit in class all day, and read the book, but I don't really learn something until I am forced to do it myself. That is when I have to apply myself. In a student inquiry situation such as figuring out how to use the Etoys program, we were forced to investigate every way possible by messing around to complete the goals outlined. When using this type of inquiry I think it is really important for the teacher to have very well defined goals. This will keep students focused and on task. It is also important that the teacher is knowledgeable and there to assist, because I know I may not have been able to figure out some of the quirks of the software without Professor Davis' help.

1 comment:

  1. This probably isn't what you were thinking when you wrote your post, but it made me think of this rule-of-thumb of sorts: if a new teacher can identify one or two or three technologies that he or she is really comfortable with, and know when and where and how to use them, then that teacher will be successful with technology starting out. (Same applies to any teacher trying to change old teaching habits and adopt new ways). Other tools can be added later on, but having a deep handle (I guess that is a pun) on a tool helps ensure that it will be used effectively.

    jd

    ReplyDelete